Wednesday, January 20, 2016

I'll Be Participating in Lent...huh?!

Have you ever participated in Lent?  Or is it something you've just heard of because your co-worker is giving up soda for 40 days and drives you nuts with her cranky attitude for that time?

Psst...guess what?  You don't have to be Catholic to participate in Lent.

My previous church taught me about Lent and it's a Bible church.  I learned that it's a time of self-discipline, not to lose weight, not to try and make yourself look good to others and not because you feel it's a duty.  And no, the Bible doesn't require us to participate in it.  You aren't any "better" or "worse" of a Christian for doing it.

It's a time of drawing closer to God through the discipline of self-examination and repentance.  It's a time that we imitate Jesus' withdrawal into the wilderness for 40 days.  It's a time for us to examine our hearts and re-focus it on what matters - Jesus.

The point is to give up something or take something on that will lead you closer to Christ.  One year I read Isaiah 58 every morning during Lent.  One year, I gave up listening to music and talking on my phone in the car. I spent every minute in the car praying.  It really shifted my focus on Him and made me yearn for that time with Him.  I continued it even after Easter, because it deepened my relationship with God.

You cater it to your spiritual walk.  Maybe giving up your morning Starbucks to give that money to the homeless fits you.  Maybe giving up lunch every day so you can spend time in the Word fits you. Maybe you add a 30 minute walk to your after-work routine to calm your mind and spend it in prayer.  Maybe giving up sugar (and not announcing it to everyone) helps you to get closer to Him, because when you're craving it, you stop and pray for His strength in that moment.

So this Lenten Season, I'm going to do a Bible study to go along with it!  I did Sacred Holidays' Advent study and LOVED it.  My walk with God really grew as a result of it.

Now Sacred Holidays has a Lent study and I'm super excited to do it!





I thought that the Advent study was VERY relevant to my walk with God and each day's devotional can be done in a reasonable amount of time.  It's not one of those studies that you work on for 2 hours a day.  I usually did mine in 30-45 minutes, but you can make it your own.  It's also super cute and has plenty of space for journaling along the way. 

Would you join me in doing this study??  I would LOVE to have other women to talk to about it and to be held accountable.  If you decide to, please let me know and we'll connect!

We'll start it on February 10!  The beginning of Lent!  And it ends on Easter!

You can order a PRINTED COPY or a DIGITAL COPY.

Side note: They've written a men's AND a teen's devotional as well so check those out!

*As a part of the Sacred Holidays Lent Launch Team, I did receive a copy of the study for free, but I was totally going to pay for it regardless, because I'm super pumped to do it!

Facebook: Sacred Holidays
Instagram: @sacredholidays
Twitter: @sacredholidays

9 comments:

  1. I think Lent is great but I don't participate!! It probably wont be easy for you...but I know you'll get through it...maybe I'll silently give something up lol! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always had so much respect for people who participate in Lent because I've honestly felt like I could never last through it. Time to turn over a new leaf - I'm participating! Thank you for sharing this study... I plan on using it! Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not Catholic but I have participated in Lent before! It is a great way to give up something unhealthy haha
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. We celebrate Lent in the Lutheran Church as well. I've usually given up something superficial but think Iay do something this year. Although it will be hard with baby coming during this time. We shall see! Glad you're doing this Kelli!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always loved the idea of Lent, but I've never participated. Maybe this year I should try it out :)
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for focusing on the real reason behind lent! I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet this year!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your ideas of giving something up in order to draw nearer to Christ. Just giving up chocolate to give up chocolate, never made sense to me. But, giving up distractions in the car, so you can spend it in prayer, now that makes sense. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this.

    For the past 4 years I have participated in lent. I usually don't give up something though - but rather - give something. I help more, donate more, and practice reminding my heart what it means to follow Christ's example. I usually participate in a Bible study too. This one looks great!

    Thanks for sharing (and for linking up to the #SHINEbloghop).

    Wishing you a lovely day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I absolutely LOVE reading your comments and try my hardest to reply via email! Make sure you're not a no-reply commenter so I can do that. If I can't email you, I'll try to reply on here :-) Have a wonderful day, friends!