Friday, April 10, 2015

Feeling Contentment

Happy Friday, friends!

I hope you've had a wonderful week!  Mine has been busy with quarter-end.  After each quarter, I'm busy at work doing our tax provision.  It's been good though!  I love my coworkers and feel challenged in the work that I do.

Over the past year, I've physically and emotionally felt pretty "ugh".  Is "ugh" a word?  You know what I mean...I've just felt blah.  The move has been tough, but good.  Changing jobs is always a little difficult and getting to know a new city and making new friends can be challenging.  To be totally honest, I've felt pretty sad at times.  I've missed my friends in Dallas and really really missed our church.  Change is just hard.

Working more hours also means that I haven't been able to work out consistently so I've gained weight and felt tired more often.

But things are different lately!  I can honestly say that I'm in a different place than I was 6 months ago.  I can finally say that I like living in San Antonio and I feel at home.  I'm happier and I physically feel better!  I am learning to be content with this part of the journey that God has us on.



Today, I wanted to share 5 things that have gotten me to this place.

ONE // I prayed.  I have been praying and praying that God would give me comfort with where we are and would help me to find contentment.  I've asked Him for probably more than I should have, but I truly feel like He has answered my prayers.  Those answers may have been different than I thought they would be, but they are perfect because they are HIS answers.

TWO // I stopped throwing myself a pity party and I changed my way of thinking.  Instead of thinking about how much I missed my old church every Sunday morning, I went to our new church with a fresh and open outlook.  I tried to start seeing it as my church home, a place I would make friends and a place where I would deepen my relationship with God.

THREE // I started making friends.  This one is huge for me, y'all.  I have always been one to have a lot of friends.  I have some really awesome friends in other cities, especially in Dallas, but sometimes I spread myself too thin.  I tried to keep up EVERY friendship, tried to meet the needs of so many people and found myself busy almost every night of the week.  I LOVE relationships!  I believe in them so much.  But I have been desiring to make that group smaller.  My intentions in this new city are to have fewer friends, but to really cultivate those relationships.  So far, I have been blessed with some really amazing women who are now my friends.  They are loyal, deep, honest, fun, smart and respectable women.  I am so excited about cultivating those relationships here.  It's REALLY helped me to settle into San Antonio.

FOUR //  I've started exercising regularly.  This is a fairly new one.  I had to realize that evenings were not going to work for me, especially because I work late often.  So I've started working out in the mornings before work and let me tell you...this has been tough!  It is so hard waking up at 5am!  But on the days that I do it, I feel fantastic!  I feel more awake, I think better at work and I just feel happier.  I worked out 4 days last week which is a huge step for me and I hope that I can keep it up.  The key for me is getting to bed early.  I need your encouragement!

FIVE // I've explored my new city.  As often as I can, I get out and explore San Antonio.  I don't feel like I gave it a fair chance at first so now I am.  Of course it's not as glamorous as NYC or trendy as Dallas, but it's really growing on me.  I go out to eat at various restaurants every chance I get.  I ask my coworkers for suggestions.  I meet friends for happy hour.  I've also found some amazing places to hike recently that are less than 30 minutes from my house!  I have yet to check out the trendy areas so I need to do that soon.

I'm really feeling like this is becoming my new home.  There's really something about gaining that sense of belonging where you live.  I'm excited about this path and praise the Lord for it daily!

Have you ever made a big move?  What types of things helped you to feel more at home in a new location?

I hope you have a wonderful week, friends!  I'll be hiking and going through our storage unit.  Woo hoo!  Sunday evening, I'll finish it off with a Young Living essential oils class!  Yay!

XOXO


Linking up with KarliAprilErika and Amanda today!

THE GOOD LIFE BLOG

11 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear that you are getting adjusted to your new city!! UGH is totally a word and feeling that was is never fun!! I've made the biggest move of my life after college and had one friend in Boston (and my sister) no job, and no prospects...to say I felt blah was an understatement...by day by day it got easier and I'm so happy that I challenged myself!!! Happy Friday girl! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear friend!!! So glad you have made efforts to make the best of your situation! Dallas misses you, but glad you are adjusting better down there! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying really helps everything! I hope you continue to feel wonderful and not "ugh". That totally is a word in my book as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that you're starting to feel better. We all go through those "ugh" stages. Luckily, we don't stay in them forever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post makes me sooooo happy! I know you've been struggling but to know that you're finally feeling at home makes me smile. Change is SO hard, but it does get easier. And yay for waking up early! Good on ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you're feeling better, I know it was really hard for you. So glad things are looking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. He will always guide you!! Amen to the end of pity parties – I used to be guilty of that too, we are much better off with positive outlooks! The making friends is fantastic! Similar to you most of my friends are in other cities so I’m working on that currently too. Day by day, right? Enjoy your continuing explorations of your new city, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rejoicing with you in His goodness!!! So glad that you are feeling at "home" within your new church family, making friends, and enjoying exploring your new city too! That's so wonderful, and I'm so very happy for you, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad that you are feeling more at home. And a 5am workout... you rock!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to know you are doing great.
    You've got a nice blog dear.
    I'm following you via GFC, kindly follow back
    http://dimplekhadi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all the things you've been implementing in order to take control and feel happier, good for you. Change can feel so overwhelming and scary at first, but it always gets better! I'm glad to hear that your new home is starting to grow on you <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I absolutely LOVE reading your comments and try my hardest to reply via email! Make sure you're not a no-reply commenter so I can do that. If I can't email you, I'll try to reply on here :-) Have a wonderful day, friends!