Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Exploring the South Island of New Zealand: Part 1

So I'm super excited to link up with Andrea today in her show and tell link up!  I've been wanting to post more about my travels so this is the perfect opportunity.  Today I'm sharing about my favorite vacation ever - New Zealand!

In 2008, two friends and I took off 2.5 weeks of work in November....crazy, I know!  I'm surprised a public accounting firm let me do that!

We flew to Christchurch, New Zealand on the South Island where we started our adventure.  Side note: we spent MONTHS researching for this trip and training for the physical part of it.  We were prepared!

We stayed in hostels in each city and LOVED it!  New Zealand is one of the safest countries for travel so I highly recommend it.  We stayed mostly in the "dorm room" sections with other travelers and we totally felt safe.

{Christchurch}








We rented a car and headed towards Wanaka.  The roadtrip alone was beautiful!  This is the ONLY time in my life that I've driven a car with the wheel on the right and on the left side of the road.

 Rakaia River

 Lake Tekapo

Lake Tekapo


{WANAKA}




Sky Diving!!!!!


this is my awesome friend



{QUEENSTOWN}

Queenstown was our favorite city!  The actual city was quaint, full of life, fun, and there were plenty of outdoor activities outside the city.

We went canyoning - possibly my favorite activity.  Canyoning is basically just going into a canyon - usually a smaller one but really cool, and repelling down into it and following the river that flows inside of it.  

It was a cold day so we wore wetsuits.  Since the snow had been melting, we couldn't go to the planned route.  It was making the rivers really high/fast and dangerous.

The one we did was amazing!  It's what started my love for rock climbing.  It rained the entire time but it was still a blast!

The photos were taken with a water-proof camera so they're blurry, but you can still see how cool it was.  We repelled, climbed, jumped off waterfalls, slid down chutes...it was awesome!

I've got a blue vest on with a hat that says "Mork".















I'll leave off here for now.  There are SO MANY cool things to share with you!  Next, we did our three day hike to one of the most photographed places in the world....the Milford Sound.  I'll be sharing Part 2 soon so come back!

I hope you enjoyed this!  I want to go back now!


Some of my other trips:



Have a wonderful Tuesday!

14 comments:

  1. Looks like a blast! Love these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing experience!! I went canyoning in Switzerland and to this day it's one of the craziest things I've ever done!! That picture of Lake Tekapo is just gorgeous!! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. New Zealand looks fabulous! I loved getting to see some of it through your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing adventure! I can't get over how stunning the pictures are-- especially Lake Tekapo! I thought the skydiving looked kind of scary but then I got to the canyoning! How do you not fall into the rocks?? I can't wait to see part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fabulous photos!! And Canyoning - That is amazing! Looks like y'all had a wonderful excursion! Did you have to have rock-climbing experience to do it? Looking forward to part 2! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love your travel recaps, what an awesome trip! Some of my in laws just went in Jan, I would love to. What a fun excursion too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What an amazing trip. Your pics are gorgeous and so fun!!!!!! Sweet blog my dear!!!!

    livingoncloudandreanine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! HOW FUN! Seriously adventurous.

    Those flowers around the lake?! Ah!

    And skydiving! Eeek! That's so fun.

    How awesome that you've gotten to travel so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh GORGEOUS! I have always wanted to visit New Zealand and it is SO MUCH FUN to see your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks so fun!!! :)

    http://sbr-fashion-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh! You are crazy! ;) I'd be too chicken to stay in a hostel unless I had to. My younger sister is more of a free spirit like that and has stayed in hostels in Costa Rica and has even couch surfed while traveling the US. To put it lightly I have prayed for her a LOT! Love all the pictures! Looks like you all had a blast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO so so fun! We LOVED Lake Tekapo! It was so pretty! These make me want to go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to go to Aus and New Zealand so bad! Definitely bucket list trips. A friend I grew up with lives in Christchurch now. It looks like such a gorgeous place. And canyoning?! I'd never heard of that before but it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness! What amazing, beautiful, and exciting pictures! You're an adventure hound, aren't you!? Wow! Looks like some wild fun!

    Thanks so much for sharing.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I absolutely LOVE reading your comments and try my hardest to reply via email! Make sure you're not a no-reply commenter so I can do that. If I can't email you, I'll try to reply on here :-) Have a wonderful day, friends!