Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Living on One Dollar

Last Friday night, the hubs and I needed a little break from our current series, Prison Break, and decided to browse Netflix for a movie to watch.

As I was flipping through the "newly added" movies, a title "Living on One Dollar" caught our attention and we were curious to see what it was about.  We both have hearts that break for those who don't have what we do, are born into poverty and don't have much of a chance to break outside of that realm.

Kevin called it - by the end of this 1-ish hour film, we were both bawling...convicted of the attitudes that we have toward material items and how much we take for granted that we have food on our plates every day.

To get a feel, watch this short trailer:


Tears already, right??

Could you do it?  Live on one dollar a day?

Think about the changes you'd experience.  Think about the things that would become most important in your life - food, shelter, water, family.

It's made me rethink my selfish desires.  I'll admit it's hard.  I want cute jewelry, clothes, home decor. If you read a lot of blogs, it's hard to not start wanting it too!  Shoot...I have a blog post in mind about my new gallery wall.

My husband and I are praying about what this means for us.  We're pretty convicted and aren't sure if it means to give more, move somewhere to help, or to be more appreciative of what we do have....maybe all three!

I encourage you to watch it, if you have Netflix, or to purchase the film HERE.  There are also screenings all over the country.

In the meantime, think about what life would be like to live on one dollar?  You may have the option, but there are more than 1 billion people in the world who don't have a choice.  What can you do to help??

10 comments:

  1. I've seen this and almost watched it a few times, you pretty much convinced me that I need to watch it!! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this, but I listened to the Elizabeth Smart audiobook while traveling last week and it made me have the same kinds of thoughts. While she was in captivity they lived outside in tents, eating only what her captor was able to steal or beg for. Those types of things are SERIOUS eye openers for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen this but I'm so grateful that you shared this! Oftentimes, we forget how lucky we are to be able to afford the nice things in our lives. I'm always reminding myself that there are people out there with much less, and that I need to be doing something about it daily. Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man. This seems like a real tear jerker. We'll have to add this to our list. Just hearing about these types of stories makes me super grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off, Prison Break is awesome. I watched all of it on Netflix back in college and still love that show!!!

    Second, that would be sooo hard to live on a dollar a day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, never heard of this! I will be checking it out, I can't imagine...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inspiring post! Thanks for sharing I will definitely be watching this on Netflix!

    XO Chloe
    A Latte Lipstick

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I haven't watched the trailer yet, but I'm sure I'll watch the movie. Maybe I can convince the hubs to watch it tonight. We try to give a much as we can, but we can always do more. Thanks for sharing this with us Kelli!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, I haven't watched the trailer yet, but I'm sure I'll watch the movie. Maybe I can convince the hubs to watch it tonight. We try to give a much as we can, but we can always do more. Thanks for sharing this with us Kelli!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I need to check this out!!!! $1/day! Whew ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I absolutely LOVE reading your comments and try my hardest to reply via email! Make sure you're not a no-reply commenter so I can do that. If I can't email you, I'll try to reply on here :-) Have a wonderful day, friends!