Monday, September 29, 2014

{Guest Post} Being Single

Hey there my lovely friends!  I'm back from Hawaii!!!  It was a blast and I took about a billion photos so it's going to take me a while to go through them and pick ones to share.  I'll post about it soon!

Today I'm celebrating my hubby's birthday and am just not ready to get back into the swing of things.  In fact, this Wednesday is my last day of work in Dallas so this is a really weird week for me.  We officially move out of the city on Thursday.  We'll be staying with my parents until we find jobs and somewhere to live in San Antonio.

So today my awesome friend, Kendra, from Kenji Is Here is guest posting on A Deeper Joy!  I have just LOVED getting to know Kendra while doing the No Other Gods study with her and Kayla.  LOVE her passion for the Lord and her ability to always stay positive.  

In case you don't already know this about me...I got married when I was 30 (one year ago) so, oh Lordy, did I have my fair share of being single in my 20's.  God taught me so many things and really grew my relationship with Him so I'm passionate about this subject.  Kendra is talking about her walk through this time and I just love it!  Hope you enjoy!

Take it away, Kendra...

I've had off and on boyfriends for a while now. Gone on too many first dates, but at the end of the day I'm what an application would call "single." Holla! I am definitely proud of being single. I in no way resent any ex boyfriend and am in no way trying to rush into a relationship. I've learned a lot being single and I wanted to share the top five things with you today.


1// Being single does not mean you are un-loved.  Where my single girls at?? Guess what? You, you are loved so much! By God, by your family, by your friends, and by that stranger who thinks you're a hottie. cat call anyone? But seriously, you are loved. Are you loved by the man of your dreams, maybe not..but that's okay because right now you are focusing on you and your goals and that is just fine. Prince Charming comes later on.

2// I have learned not to settle. No way no how, call me picky, call me what you want, but I just won't settle. You shouldn't either! Why? Because you have standards. Does it mean you'll be single longer? Maybe, but isn't it worth taking the time and being single than settling with the next available guy just to break up 3 months down the line? I think so. I've been single for a while now and in that time I have settled and it's never worth it. Ladies you are worth something. When you think you're worth nothing, you are wrong. You deserve the best! You deserve to be loved, truly loved!

3// I will never be able to be in a relationship when my faith is rocky.  What do I mean by that? I mean those times when life is happening and church and praying somehow get to the back burner..that is when I can't be in a relationship. That is when that little voice sneaks up and says "Kenji, you're lonely, go find a guy." Yeah, no. I know better. Any guy that enters my life will enter it through God. This is important to me. My relationship with God is #1. In those moments of weakness, nothing good can come. God first.

4// There's nothing better than being my own boss. I don't have to ask permission. I don't have to tell anyone where I am. I don't have to be home at a certain time. I don't have to worry about pleasing someone's family member that aren't my own. I am me, and I am in charge of me. I'll do what I want, when I want. This is perfect. I am independent and this fits my needs right now and it's perfect. Freedom.

5// The most important. I won't be single forever.  Even though there are days where I have a pity party of 1 and talk about how I will be an old cat lady hoarder one day, it won't happen. I won't be single for the rest of ever, and neither will you! One day my prince will come...or something like that. But seriously girls, I promise you all. We will look back on these times and laugh at how we thought we'd be single forever.

All I want to say is enjoy being single while you're single. It's a beautiful thing. Yes, a relationship and marriage and a family are wonderful things, but why try and rush what shouldn't be rushed. If you're down in the dumps just come over to my spot in the world and we'll have a single girls party and drink wine and watch movies all night. It'll be perfect!

Love yourself ladies!

11 comments:

  1. All of these are SO TRUE. I think I'm weird because I actually loved being single haha but for many of these reasons too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so so true! When I was single before meeting my now fiancé, I was able to discover who I truly am. Also Kelli, happy birthday to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Being single definitely does not mean you aren't loved! I sometimes felt like that as a single girl, but it's so untrue. Great post girl!

    So glad you're back Kelli!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. FANTASTIC! I loved my single time, it had so many great perks but I also love being married! I just try to balance time with myself and time with my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is SUCH a great post and so true! I think a lot of this is hard to remember when you're the only single girl in a group of friends, but if you stay true to yourself and your faith, it all works out. wonderful post. I love Kendra!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes yes Yes!! So true! I always tell friends to enjoy the single time while they have it - especially with the Lord - as it ALL changes after :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WONDERFUL points!! All true and all amazing - you rocked this!! NEVER settle - and if you make sure that your faith is first and important, then you never will. I firmly believe that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. THIS is a great post!!! I resonate with every single point you made!! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for posting tjis. The comments are awesome!! Thank you everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I absolutely LOVE reading your comments and try my hardest to reply via email! Make sure you're not a no-reply commenter so I can do that. If I can't email you, I'll try to reply on here :-) Have a wonderful day, friends!