Friday, September 5, 2014

Big Changes in Life!!

Happy Friday, friends!!!  Today is not my typical Friday post and it has fewer pictures.  Please just stick with me!  I'm sharing my heart and my life with you today.

There has been SO MUCH going on in my life right now that I haven't been able to fully talk about but now I can!  Today I want to share with you about what God has been doing in mine and my hubby's lives.

Where do I start?

I guess I should start with priorities.  Kevin and I have been evaluating our priorities before we were even married.  We both agree that God is first - His calling is what matters most.  We also agree the family is up there right after God.  Our little two person family is the bomb and we're excited to add to it someday!  In fact, we would like to in the near future, but want to be closer to my family when we do that.  Here are some of our requirements for raising children:

1 // Be surrounded by family - grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.  We want our children to have great relationships with their families and it's possible to do from far away but difficult.  We'd much prefer to be closer!


2 // Have some land for our children to play and roam freely.  I grew up with this.  My siblings and I made forts in the woods, threw rocks and sticks, hiked with my dad, went camping, and pretty much had to keep ourselves busy instead of watching TV.  I want my children to have this as well.

3 //  Live in a laid back culture.  Specifically, we love the Texas Hill Country.

4 // Live in an area with great schools so that we have that option if we choose to not homeschool our kids.

I understand that we don't always get what we want or have that opportunity but we've been praying about what that means for us.

We have felt the Lord nudging us to consider moving away from the Dallas/Fort Worth area.  We always thought we'd end up in the Texas Hill Country where my family is but thought it would be many years from now.

don't hate me, Dallas friends ;-)

A few serious events have made us consider doing it sooner: our home selling super fast, my hubby wanting to leave his job and us wanting to start trying for children.  We were so surprised that our house sold so quickly!  We thought, "oh, we'll have plenty of time to think about what's next" but oh no no, 2 days on the market and we were in contract!  We also hated leaving our brother-in-law and sister-in-law here but now they are moving!  Perfect timing!

After lots of prayer and time with the Lord, we feel a peace about moving down to the Texas Hill Country - specifically the San Antonio area.  We need a slower pace of life and love the feel down there.  We want to be outside of the city.

Can I just tell you something???  We can stress and stress and stress about our lives but it does us absolutely NO good.  God has reminded me not to stress and I'll admit, it's been really difficult.  We just sold our house after selling my condo one year before.  I had just gotten settled in the house AND marriage!  We're only 10 months in, folks! :)

On Monday evening, I spent some time in the Word while doing my No Other Gods study that I'm doing remotely with Kendra and Kayla.  I read Numbers 13 about the Israelites still wandering in the desert, hoping to eventually make it to the Promised Land - the Middle Eastern Hill Country, Scripture says.  Moses sends some of the leaders ahead to check out this Promised Land to get the scoop.  They definitely find a land flowing with milk and honey - full of abundance - but it's occupied by "giants" and a large number of people.  They come back afraid and discouraged.  The Israelites start complaining and groaning and saying they wish they were back in Egypt where they were slaves.  Really?!

The Lord PROMISED them this land, yet they let fear get in the way.  They were choosing slavery over God's promises.  I am SO guilty of this!  In this whole process of moving to San Antonio, I've let fear drive me.  I'm afraid to leave my friends here, I'm afraid of leaving our church, our small group, my great job, our little neighborhood.  I see milk and honey ahead yet I fear what it takes to get there.

It was in this moment that God told me to stop worrying and to be at peace about moving to San Antonio.  HE would provide, HE would get us jobs, HE would give us friends.

So after 9 years of living in the DFW area and Kevin being here all of his life, we're stepping out on faith and moving 5 hours south!  I'll be continuing work in Dallas until October 3 (with a little vacation in the middle) and Kevin will be spending time with his awesome grandpa up in Oklahoma.  It'll be tough to be away from him but it makes the most sense right now. Kevin quit his job this week and feels such a relief!  I'm excited for him!

We have financially prepared for this and are 100% debt free now that the house is sold!  Woo hoo!!!  We have AMAZING friends that are letting us live with them in this time of transition.

We're sad to leave the DFW area as we have so many amazing friends up here and the most amazing church ever.  Gosh I hope there's a church like IBC down in San Antonio!  Shoot...Kevin and I met at IBC...my life would be very different without it.

I ask for your prayers in finding jobs down there - we're already searching though we won't be down there until mid-October.  Once we do that, we'll find a place to live.

This is one of the biggest changes in my life besides becoming a Christian and getting married.  I'm anxious but so excited about what God is planning!  Thank you for your prayers and encouraging words!!!

Simple Moments Stick

25 comments:

  1. How exciting that you'll be starting on this new journey together! Looking forward to hearing more about settling into this big change...congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so EXCITING and AWESOME!! God is so so good to ya'll and He will absolutely provide, there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever. God always makes me giggle with His impeccable timing - it's perfect! I cannot wait to see and hear all about ya'lls adventures. Girl, the lifestyle ya'll are wanting and moving to sounds right up my alley lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grrr! haha, I selfishly don't like this post!!!!! JK! Super excited for y'all - God is doing big things. I love how He leads us to the promised land!!! That for you is the Hill Country (thank you Jesus it's an awesome promised land). We need to hang before you leave friend xoxo Excited to continue to follow your journey and pumped you are DEBT free! Thank you Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an exciting journey! I totally agree with you, about moving to get land. My husband and I live right outside DC which is concrete central. We have a cute two bedroom, but we want a home, WITH LAND for our future kids. It's not really feasible to do that in our area, so we are looking to make a move next year. I'll be sad moving away form friends and family, but I really want a more laid back area to live. Prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thee kinds of things--where we don't have every single step totally under control are SO THRILLING to me to see God work. That was much like our move here (I am type A and need everything under my thumb--but that was not the case with this move at all and everything worked out and I didn't do it...God did). I know you'll find the answers to all the things you seek <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an exciting new chapter of your lives that is about to begin! The Texas Hill Country is so beautiful, I can't blame you at all for wanting to move there, and especially if it means settling down more and being closer to family. Praying that God will give you a great church home when you make the big move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is :) I love it! Thank you so much for your prayers Amy! I can't tell you how much they mean to me!

      Delete
  7. So many wonderful changes ahead for you and I have no doubt you both will find the perfect jobs!! I think being close to family is one of my big things for when we decide we want to start a family - just so much easier have them around to help - mostly my mom lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We obviously haven't talked as much this week bc I totally missed Kevin quitting his job! We'll have to chat so I can hear more.
    I'm so excited for you two to start this next chapter in your life. Big things are coming your way I can feel it. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this list...love the life is too short to live in DFW! So funny. Great to get those priorities straight on the front end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well you know I am SOOO excited for you Kelli, I just think it's all awesome. I do wish you were going to be spending a little time in OK too, I'll get over it ;) Can't wait to follow along on this journey sweet friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Big changes coming your way! I'm so excited for you in getting closer to family! My husband and I are yearning for that now, but so far we just haven't found any opportunities. I believe we are being taught a lesson in patience. :) Prayers for you as you make the move!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting! Best of luck to you guys. God is good and does provide!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so excited for you. Stepping out in faith is scary but oh so worth it! I can't wait to watch what unfolds for you both as you follow God's call!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Praying big time!! :)

    Did I tell you we honeymooned in San Antonio? Awesome area!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So excited for you and these changes! God is doing big things in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How exciting!!! I love hearing what God's doing in everyone's lives!!! Thanks for linking up! <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such an exciting time in y'all's life! I know how you feel...we want children, soon, and we are also in the middle of moving out of our home and moving to a different town. I stressed and stressed about finding a job, and just when I was ready to give up...I got a call! I interviewed on Friday and by Monday they called me back offering me the job! It was SO unexpected because they had reached out to me after I applied and said they were no longer hiring. Now we are just waiting for my husband to find a job...which I pray that he finds one soon.

    I will keep you guys in my prayers! <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that's a big life change all at once, for sure, but it sounds like you guys are really on the right track! And the good thing about only moving 5 hours away is that you can still come and visit Dallas occasionally. My husband and I moved a month ago--saying goodbye is definitely the hardest part, but settling into a new home can be really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YAY! I'm so glad I had time today to read back some blog posts. This makes me so excited for you. That day was perfect for you in the NOG bible study. I think it's something everyone needs to hear because we're all guilty of this. I can't wait to hear all about your journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations Kelli! That was great to read for me right now! Always love a shout out to Oklahoma too! :)

    Good luck! It'll all go great :)

    XO Chloe
    A Latte Lipstick

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my gosh, Kelli!!! I'm so excited and happy for you! Change can always be scary -- no matter how right the decision feels -- but it definitely sounds like you two are making the right move! Can't wait to follow along on this adventure with you and will be saying lots of prayers for the job hunt to be quick and painless!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow!! I just loved that post -- your thoughts and your honesty!! I can't wait to follow along with you on this adventure! Keep following the Lord :) he will make your paths straight!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful journey you are about to embark upon. I love that you are seeing God's hand in this. I pray that you continually see and feel His presence as you continue to step out in faith.

    Sending you much strength and prayers.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I absolutely LOVE reading your comments and try my hardest to reply via email! Make sure you're not a no-reply commenter so I can do that. If I can't email you, I'll try to reply on here :-) Have a wonderful day, friends!