Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Homemade Deodorant

So I've been on a journey, my friends!  It's a journey I'll be on all my life.  It started with this - I believe that so many of our health problems stem from unhealthy diets, the chemicals/pesticides used in our foods (even when it says organic) and beauty/health products, and medicines.

If I could, I'd live on a farm, raise my own animals and grow my own produce.  I really believe that it's the only way to live clean, but it's unfortunately, not realistic.  So I'm doing what I can to minimize the chemicals that enter my body.

One step that I am taking is making a lot of my own beauty/health products.  I've dabbled in making my own lip balm, makeup removing cleanser, hand soap, body wash and deodorant.

Using THIS recipe, I made my own deodorant about a month ago and I totally didn't expect it to work.  I thought, "I'm going to be smelly and sweaty."  I had tried Toms brand and it did NOT work.

And I'm happy to say HOLY COW!  This stuff really works for me!

1) It keeps me from sweating.

2) It keeps me from getting smelly.

3) It doesn't get on my clothes.

I have used Dove or Secret for years and I can honestly say that my homemade deodorant works better than either one of those for me.  Everyone's body is different so different recipes may react differently to your body.  I'm just lucky that the first one I tried worked!


How to make your own natural deodorant:

First, I cleaned out an old Dove deodorant container thoroughly and let it dry.  If you don't have one to use, you can order them on Amazon.

Then I gathered these ingredients:

1/4 cup organic virgin coconut oil (I order mine HERE)
3/4 tablespoon beeswax pellets (I order mine HERE)
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch (or arrowroot powder if you have sensitive skin)
5 drops each of lavender, lemon and frankincense Young Living Essential Oils (I can help you get these if you don't have any...just email me - adeeperjoyblog@gmail.com)

Melt the coconut oil and beeswax together completely in a saucepan on low heat.  You can also put them in a glass container and set it in a pan of boiling water.

Remove from the heat, once melted, and add baking soda and cornstarch/arrowroot.  Mix everything together until smooth.  It'll look like a creamy white liquid.

Add in the essential oils.  I truly believe that these are what make the deodorant work so well.  

Mix everything together with a spoon and then pour into empty deodorant container.  Let it solidify and it's ready to use!!

NOTE: Depending on the temperature where you store it, you may have to apply it using your fingers.  If you want to rub it on, store it in the fridge.

Let me know if you make it and what you think of it!  I love hearing feedback!

More natural recipes to come!

16 comments:

  1. Very cool that you make your own deodorant! I tried the crystal method a few years ago and it worked like a charm, but got kind of lazy, I guess. :-/

    As for my philosophy on organic (not that anyone asked, but I was an animal science major and studied food science in college--it's a passion of mine), eat whole foods (conventional or organic) and you will be just fine. Try to avoid processed foods. However, as far as conventional foods vs organic foods--there hasn't been any data to suggest organic is nutritionally better for you. I'd say, if you're happier with the way organic is grown, totally cool. Buy organic. If you're trying to just eat a healthy diet, go conventional. It's more affordable, and you won't be missing out on any nutrients! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're brace! I'm all about natural products too but deodorant is a hard one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Yes!!! You know how much I love this post!!! Love other people who are passionate about health and avoiding chemicals :) Excited to try this out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. THIS. Love it. I'm going to have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I 100% have the same thoughts as you on all of this. I should try this, I know some people need strong deodorants but I am one who could probably get by without it haha, so a lighter/natural one would suit me fine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend does one similar and loved it- she also does her own detergent too! Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really really interesting. I typically go for the clinical strength variety (I'm a sweaty girl)... or even men's deo. So I wonder if it would still work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a post after my own heart! As weird as it sounds I hate wearing deodorant and I've really been wanting to try something natural but I always hear bad reviews or they're really pricey so for now I just stick with the degree. I love the idea of saving an old container to use for what you make- this is definitely a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alright. Hearing that it works better than Dove or Secret may have me convinced. I guess if you were going to always make your own deodorant the investment would be worth it. I seat really bad though. Like we're talking I've thought about getting injections in my arm pits to make it stop (I can't believe I just said that on here....but it's the truth.). You are very slowly convincing me of these natural remedies Kelli. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like you are my soul sista with this post! I would live on a farm too!!! I try to make all my own cleaning supplies, laundry detergent and use coconut oil like it is my J.O.B! I can not wait to try out this recipe!! Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's buy a farm together and all live on it :) That's awesome, Bekah! How do you make your detergent? I've been wanting to make my own. Let me know if you make this and how it works!

      Delete
  11. I would love to try this. I will add it to my things to try. I have made my own lip balm before and loved it, but I don't use it often as it is so I stopped doing that. I think anything that we can make ourselves is a good idea. Today you never know what is going into your products.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats so awesome. I want to try that sometime. And yea, I'm with you - it'd be really neat to live on a farm and just do everything yourself! That way you KNOW what you're putting into your body.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This has always intrigued me but since healthier deodorants like Tom's brand don't work for me I've always brushed these recipes off and put them in the same category. Since you said Tom's didn't work for you and this does, I may have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been wanting to make my own deodorant! This is so awesome!

    Do you think it can be made without the beeswax pellets?

    Thanks for sharing (and for linking up to the #SHINEbloghop).

    Wishing you a lovely weekend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. How am I just now seeing this post?! Your recipe looks amazing and it is on my to-do list of what to make next with my Young Living oils! The natural and organic deodorant {not antiperspirant} that I currently use works great for everything but ummmm sweating. I'm all for letting the toxins out of my body, but having that a bit more under control would rock! Thanks for sharing!!

    P.S. I totally agree with you about moving out to a farm, but since it's not happening, tips like this make all the difference!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I absolutely LOVE reading your comments and try my hardest to reply via email! Make sure you're not a no-reply commenter so I can do that. If I can't email you, I'll try to reply on here :-) Have a wonderful day, friends!