Thursday, July 10, 2014

DIY Storage Boxes





Remember THIS post about needing to decorate our back living area?  Well, I've been working on it!

before

My first goal was to fill these cubes with storage boxes and I didn't want to spend a ton of money, but I also wanted it to look cute.  So we bought wicker storage boxes from Lowe's and I made cute fabric covered boxes for the top row!

after

Using Jen's tutorial at IHeart Organizing, I created my own custom covered storage boxes that I LOVE!  I might have spent about 2 hours staring at fabric at Joann Fabric Store and about went crazy, but I finally decided on this pretty deep blue polka dot pattern and a dark orange pattern.

Here is what I used:

4 shoeboxes
About 1.5 yards of each fabric
Spray adhesive
Yard stick
Scissors
Pen
Duct Tape

First, I cut the lids off of my old shoeboxes and taped down any parts of the box that stuck out.


by the last box, I decided to put duct tape over the little half circle cut-outs as well

Then I measured the amount of fabric that I would need for the inside of the box.


I cut a rectangle piece for the bottom, making it just a tad larger so it would come up slightly on the sides.  Then I cut two long pieces to cover the sides of the inside.  I carefully positioned the fabric exactly where I wanted it and rolled the fabric on after spraying the adhesive all over the surface.

once the adhesive dried, it didn't look white and chalky like that

Next, I did the same thing with the outside pieces.  I cut pieces for each end and then one large piece that would cover the other sides as well as the bottom.



Make sure to measure out a little extra to come over the tops into the box.

Then it was done!  I repeated those steps 3 more times for the other boxes and alternated fabrics.




A few tips:

Outdoor fabric probably works better than normal fabric.  I'd imagine it lays flatter and the edges probably fray less.  Jen used outdoor fabric on her bins.

Keep a damp paper towel or towel nearby because the adhesive gets all over your hands.

Use your hands to roll out bubbles that form in the fabric.


I just love how they look in the cubes and it cost me a fraction of what it would have cost to buy fabric bins from a store.  I hope you enjoyed the tutorial!

**Check it out!  I'm featured over at Flowers in My Hair today with some other great ladies!**


19 comments:

  1. This is great! I'd love to make a few of these for my new place, I would have never guess you just used shoe boxes lol, but it totally works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUTE! I never would have thought to use shoe boxes! So smart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even tell that was ever a show box! That is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute and crafty, look at you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look great! How crafty are YOU! Watch out! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. New reader here :) I just bought one of those cube organizers, and didn't want to spend a ton of $$$ on filling them. Such a cute idea - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lauren! Thanks for stopping by!! Oh awesome...perfect timing! You'll definitely save money doing this. I bought too much fabric so start off with so if I had bought the correct amount, I would have saved even more! I hope to cover other boxes with the extra fabric someday :)

      Delete
  7. Love the boxes! You did a great job. And really good photos too BTW. :)
    I bought some fancy wrapping paper to cover some magazine holders from IKEA. Now just need to find the time to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a good to use fabric! I always save all kinds of boxes I might need for storage or for gift giving in the future and I'm definitely going to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh stop it!!! I want to do this, but I know I would probably have a project fail! Love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your DIY boxes look fantastic! Is there anything you can't do!? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my heavens...why haven't I thought of this!!? I'm totally pinning this for future reference! love! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe I'm crazy but I just left a comment, and now it disappear... lemme try this thing again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay that seemed to work. Anyways, what I said was:

      You are brilliant! How did I not think of this sooner??!! I love it, my friend!!!!

      Delete
  13. L-O-V-E this !!! Nicely done! ;) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so very CUTE! You did a wonderful job and captured all the steps beautifully!

    Now I just need some shoe boxes *wink*.

    Wishing you a lovely weekend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I absolutely LOVE reading your comments and try my hardest to reply via email! Make sure you're not a no-reply commenter so I can do that. If I can't email you, I'll try to reply on here :-) Have a wonderful day, friends!