Tuesday, June 3, 2014

When Christians Hurt People

To anyone who has ever been hurt by the church or a Christian's behavior/actions, I apologize.

I have recently heard and read so many stories about both believers and non-believers being hurt by someone who claims to be a Christian (it's not my place to judge what is in his or her heart).  Can I just tell you....this infuriates me!!

I have been hurt by fellow believers.  I have been through a painful church split.  I have met numerous believers who do not live by Biblical principles and have seen them treat others poorly.  I am guilty of screwing up as well - I'm sure I have hurt others in my sin.

To those who have been hurt by Christians:

Let me take this moment to say I'm sorry.  I am sorry for the actions of other believers and myself that have caused you to turn away from God or think that His character is anything like that.  You did not deserve that type of treatment or judgment.  God is unconditionally loving and accepts you WHERE YOU ARE.  Please do not judge God based on the actions of humans.  We are all sinful beings, therefore, all humans act imperfectly though it should NEVER be used as an excuse.   It is not okay for believers act in a sinful manner knowing that they'll be forgiven anyway.

God will deal with the person(s) that wronged you.  Their actions are not a reflection of God's character.  Here are some words that describe Him:

Forgiving
Loving
Redeeming
Comforter
Savior
Father
Good
Provider

I hope that some of those words resonate with you.  He is not judgmental.  I know many Christians around the globe have taken Scripture out of context and used it as a weapon to hurt others and abuse them.  That is wrong.  Flat out...wrong.

Jesus loves you regardless of race, sexual orientation, political beliefs, or religion.  There are many Biblical principles that may be against something you believe, but it doesn't change God's love for you. Grace is offered to everyone.

Know that as a follower of Jesus Christ, I love you for you.

To all believers:

Though your life/actions/behaviors are not a direct reflection of God, non-believers are watching you and judging our Lord and Savior based on those actions/behaviors.  We all know that God's character is good and we are not, but we need to be aware of how we can affect someone else's journey in learning about God.  We are held to a high standard by being one of His followers.

What is Scriptural?  If you aren't sure what is "right" and "wrong", look it up!  Don't be proclaiming something because it "sounds good" if you don't even know if it's Scriptural.  My favorite resource for looking up topics is Bible Gateway.


Know that YOU are a reflection of Jesus to those around you so be aware of your actions.  We are called to love others - both believers and non-believers, regardless what we think about their lifestyle.  It is not your place to judge them (Luke 6:37).

Let's aim to show others the love of Christ rather than causing them to stumble (Matthew 18:6).

Love you all, my friends!! XOXO


I'm linking up with Cassie at Sage the Blog and Cassie at Living on Cloud Nine for In The Word Tuesday!


5 comments:

  1. Yes yes yes! When I was a nonbeliever I was hurt by many Christians and it totally turned me off from Jesus for a long time! This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great topic to touch on and discuss Kelli! It's something I've never personally dealt with but know several close people who have. One who even turned her back on God because of it at one point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You remind me of Jennifer (The Deliberate Mom) a bit Kelli. You just have a way with words. This is so true and God does love everyone. And it's so true. I have known many "Christians" that are so hypocritical it's infuriating. God accepts everyone no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A brief disclaimer- I'm not being argumentative and am as amicable as possible in writing this comment :) I just wanted to point out something- which I could have just read incorrectly.

    You said that Jesus is not judgmental. Perhaps I am reading wrong, but Jesus IS the judge. John 5:22, 5:27, 5:30, 8:15-16, 8:26, 9:39. I just finished a bible study on the book of John this spring, so all of those verses were fresh in my mind.

    Passing judgment isn't always a bad thing, specifically when Christ is the one passing it. Because He is good, true, and holy. As Christians, we are called to judge righteously, and judging between right and wrong is something we do every day—and it should be a part of biblical discernment in every believer’s thinking. But it is God’s Word that makes the judgment on morality and truth, not our own opinions or theories.

    Anyway, I always say "look to Jesus, not me!" for I am the "chief of sinners"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I absolutely LOVE reading your comments and try my hardest to reply via email! Make sure you're not a no-reply commenter so I can do that. If I can't email you, I'll try to reply on here :-) Have a wonderful day, friends!