Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Wedding Story: Costa Rica Honeymoon


Woo hoo!  I've been excited about getting to this post!  Our honeymoon was perfect!  It was so amazing to relax, turn off the cell phones, forget about email, stop worrying about wedding plans and just BE with my new husband!  Sometimes I want to recreate it and pretend like our cell phones aren't working.  Traveling out of the country always makes me realize how dependent we are on them and how distracting they are.  NOTE TO SELF: put away your cell phone at some point this week!

October 2013

So...Kevin wanted mountains and I wanted beach for our honeymoon.  We liked the idea of going to Hawaii because it has both but after looking at cost and flight duration, we decided against it.  I started researching Costa Rica and realized that it was perfect!  It has mountains/volcanos, rainforest AND beach!

Kevin hadn't ever been out of the country so we had to get him a passport and mine was expiring so I needed a new one.  That was an adventure in itself, but I won't go there.

Costa Rican Vacations planned our trip and they were awesome!  I will say - I think we overpaid, but I was stressed planning the wedding and didn't have time to do the normal research I do for trips.

For the first half of our trip, we stayed in the rainforest at the Rio Celeste Hideaway Hotel.  Oh my gosh, it was amazing! I have NEVER been anywhere like this.  If you want romantic and secluded, stay here!


First, let me tell you about getting there...the travel agency had our own private van pick us up and drive us there - about a 2-3 hour drive.  Our driver was fun and friendly but when he turned down a rocky, secluded road while it was pouring cats and dogs, we kind of freaked out.  He said it was 9 miles down this road and that it'd take another 45 minutes to get there.  We saw NO other resorts or hotels on this road...only Costa Rican farmers holding machetes!  I have traveled a lot and been in sketchy situations, but honestly, I was afraid that I had led us into a trap and we were about to be kidnapped and our organs were going to be sold on the black market.


Thankfully, we drove up to this and let out our breath - we would live to see another day!  Off to a good start!


When they say "hideaway," they mean it's hidden so well that killer monkeys might hijack your van and attack you and no one will EVER find you.

Back to the good stuff... :)

There are something like 28 casitas so it's definitely intimate.  I think we were 2 of 15 people there.  If you want privacy, this is your place!  Though we did meet some pretty cool couples staying here too.

Our casita was awesome...




outdoor shower ;-) 



lovely porch for reading 

we brought our own alcohol since it wasn't included in our package

Did I mention that it rains ALL THE TIME in Costa Rica?!  Somedays it'll be sunny in the morning and then rain all afternoon and evening.  Honestly, it was really relaxing.  One day, we got massages that were AWESOME!  The sound of rain made it heavenly!

not us, obviously (via)

One day we went on a hike to see the Rio Celeste Waterfall...





I'm pretty sure I didn't wear makeup the whole time.  It was glorious.

This blue color is natural.  So cool!  For 24km, certain minerals mix in the water to make it this color.  It smells like sulfur which isn't the most pleasant but it's gorgeous! 

 Blue Lagoon

 Bubbles from volcanic activity





Eek!

Isn't that water beautiful?!

Next our private driver picked us up and brought us to the beach!  We stayed in Guanacaste at the Westin Playa Conchal All-inclusive Resort.  This is definitely the nicest all-inclusive I've ever been to.  I love not worrying about the cost of food and drinks!   They put us in a honeymoon suite with champagne and chocolate covered strawberries.


We had so much fun relaxing on the beach and in the pools.  The beach there was very different than the Mexican beaches I've been to...it's lines with trees, not resorts so it feels like it's natural environment.  There were even monkeys on the beach!



We went on a fishing excursion out to Catalina Island (couldn't get off on the island).  Neither of us are big fishers, we were just excited to see the islands and snorkel a little bit.  We ended up LOVING the fishing! They set it all up for you, you just reel one in when it bites but holy moley, the fish are huge!  Kevin caught a black tuna and then we each caught a 40 lb Mahi Mahi...and Kevin had to help me reel mine in....my arms felt like jello.





 black tuna






The best part...we were able to bring a filet of the Mahi Mahi back with us and a chef at the resort cooked it for us.  That was my favorite meal ever!  He fried half of it and grilled the other half.  The dipping sauces were amazing, as well.  I've never been so stuffed and we just couldn't finish it!


We were sad to leave but had a blast!  I'm ready to go back!



Don't forget to enter the Sweet Summer Giveaway!  Only 2 days left!

24 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh.....so jealous! We really wanted to go to Costa Rica for our honeymoon, but everyone convinced us not to because it would have been the "rainy season." Your pics are GORGEOUS! And now I've got it set in my mind that we're definitely going to have to go to Costa Rica....and soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love that you got the best of both worlds - totally our idea vacation - I think we need to go here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU ARE MAKING ME WANT TO GO ON MY HONEYMOON RIGHT NOW! AHHH So excited that we get to go soon! Loved all your photos! We totally plan to get couples massages too haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, WOW! This looks like it was a fantastic trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you guys went to Costa Rica like we did. And stayed at the same hotel! Although it wasn't called the Westin when we went, it's definitely the same place we stayed! I love that you guys stayed in 2 places as well. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like so much fun! I've heard such amazing things about Costa Rica. I've never been outside the country, but planning a cruise for next year. I'm already excited about it. I just can't wait to see nice beaches. East coast beaches are not pretty at all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. annnnd don't ya want to pack your bags and head right on back? YES PLEASE! haha great photos pretty lady!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun!!! Those waterfall pics are so gorgeous. I want to go to the beach, like yesterday haha! I've never been to Costa Rica but it looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Costa Rica looks amazing, we briefly talked about but I wasn't sure how adventurous I would be. Looks like an amazing trip, somewhere to consider for us!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh girl it looks heavenly!!! I think you guys got exactly what you were looking for out of your honeymoon!! Costa Rica is on my list of places to visit for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pictures!! Your suite at the first hotel looked amaaaazing! Now I'm off to research Costa Rica beach vacations... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wait, that huge fish is Mahi Mahi? I feel jipped! LOL. Everytime I order it i get the smallest portion EVER! Looks like you guys had a blast though. Costa Rica is stunning!

    Kristen @ Your Beauty Fix

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goshhhhhhhhh that looks like an amazing h-moon!!!!!! Y'all are such a beautiful couple!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Phew! How gorgeous! Fishing looked like a lot of fun, and those fish are MASSIVE. I'm glad you two had an amazing honeymoon. I'd love to visit Costa Rica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh my gosh those fish were HUGE! That's why I couldn't reel it in alone. Yeah it was awesome! So fun that we both just posted about our honeymoons :)

      Delete
  15. This looks so fun! I LOVED looking at all the pictures! Thank you for sharing! I'm glad you guys had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Allyssa! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm dying to go back! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  16. Haha I'm always afraid of being kidnapped when I'm in a taxi in another country. Love all your pictures.. that water is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah I've had that thought before but never like when we were in that van. We were scared! Haha. Thank you!! I appreciate you stopping by, Jacquelyn!!

      Delete
  17. What a gorgeous honeymoon... other than the freaky start of driving down quiet roads with machete wielding farmers watching you drive past - EEK!

    Love all the photos! That's some pretty big tuna there. Tee, hee... I just thought of the Office after typing that.

    Reminded me a bit of our tropical honeymoon to Hawaii.

    Thanks for sharing (and linking up to the SHINE Blog Hop).

    Wishing you a lovely day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. these looks like an amazing honeymoon! just reading about being in that van gave me the creeps, glad it turned out ok!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never been to Costa Rica, but it looks amazing! I need to plan a getaway there immediately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should go if you ever get a chance to! It's one of my favorite countries now :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I absolutely LOVE reading your comments and try my hardest to reply via email! Make sure you're not a no-reply commenter so I can do that. If I can't email you, I'll try to reply on here :-) Have a wonderful day, friends!