Thursday, May 8, 2014

Natural Foods/Products vs. Taking Medicine

I have always been a believer in eating and using natural foods and products, however, the cost-issue is a big deterrent.  Also, it can be pretty time consuming and time is something I don't have too much of - research, preparing food, making products, etc.  My other hesitation is knowing what to believe.  Some people swear by certain products and others hate them, especially when it comes to weight loss.  I've always believed that if you want to lose weight, eat healthy and exercise.  I'm all about being realistic when it comes to being healthy.

A MAJOR issue I'm trying to navigate in this quest is the cost.  My husband and I are trying to aggressively pay off the mortgage and don't have much wiggle room in the budget.  Unfortunately, going to a naturopathic doctor or NAET can get expensive.  Someday I may do this, but before that, I'm exploring other natural options.

I want to share with you some of my ideas/goals that I'm either considering or have already applied to my life this year.  I'd love your thoughts and advice on them!

{EXERCISE}

I've always been somewhat consistent with exercising, except for those super busy times in my life like when I was engaged or during busy season at work.  My hubby and I recently joined the recreation center in our city for only $50 a year and we've been working out at the gym there.  I've also been doing some at-home workouts like these that I learned from Tiffany at A Touch of Grace.

With a full-time job, volunteering at New Friends New Life, being a newly wed, pursuing relationships with friends, going to our newly wed small group, church activities and more, it is SO hard to find time to exercise.  And I don't even have kids!  How do you moms do it?  I feel overwhelmed now!

How have you made consistent workouts happen in your life?

{FOOD}

Without being a nutritionist, I feel pretty knowledgeable about which foods are "clean" and which are not.  Finding good recipes on blogs is pretty helpful so I can change it up often.  Honestly, sometimes I need to just ditch the recipes and do something basic like fish, a veggie and quinoa.

Again, my issue is time.  This requires a lot of work in the evenings which I don't always have.  Sometimes what works is to prepare many meals on a Sunday and just heat them up during the week.  Healthy crockpot recipes (like these) are also quite handy!

To be honest, I LOVE food.  My favorite is Thai food and how carby is that?!  Mmmm...Pad Kee Mow!  Delicious!  Sometimes I just feel like eating something bad. I try to limit those times to just the weekends.






Here is what I need to do:

1) Stop trying the fun, yummy recipes I find online and go back to the basics - maybe just the fun ones one day a week
2) As hard as this might be, if we absolutely have to stop and eat at Chick-Fil-A (yummmm), make myself get the grilled nuggets instead of the breaded ones.  This goes for other restaurants too.
3) Grocery shop more often.  I usually go about once a week, but if I want fresh veggies in every meal, I probably need to go more.
4) Cut back on bread and pasta.  This is something I've done for years, but I want to be even more conscious about it.
5) Buy mostly whole foods, limit the processed stuff even if it sounds healthy.
6) Try to not eat acidic foods to help with my acid reflux.  This means no (or little) tomatoes, onions, coffee, red wine, pineapples, oranges, grapefruits, and fried food.  Isn't that sad?!

I'll be honest here...I will never be completely grain-free, gluten-free, carb-free, meat-free or fat-free.  I think that some foods are ok to enjoy in moderation and that just wouldn't work with my family.  So I will do the best that I can to keep things healthy 90% of the time!

What tips could you offer me?  How do you consistently eat healthy even when you have a busy schedule?

{CHIROPRACTIC CARE}

I started going to a chiropractor about 3 months ago and I've seen a considerable difference in a few areas.  I used to have daily headaches starting from behind my head.  When my chiropractor did an x-ray, it showed that my top vertebrae was extremely out of place and probably causing that.  I was also having memory problems...some I'm sure had to do with being engaged and planning a wedding so I was stressed. Since seeing my chiropractor, the headaches have gone away and my memory has gotten better!

I will continue going to him to hopefully help with my allergies in the long run. 

Have you ever done chiropractic care?  Did you think it was worth the money?

{ESSENTIAL OILS}

I recently went to a doTERRA "class" at my neighbor's house to learn more about essential oils.  People who use them claim that they work wonders so I'm willing to give it a try.  Due to the $ issue, I'm not diving in head first, but I think I'll get the introductory kit with lavender, lemon and peppermint.  This is supposed to help with allergies and about a million other things!  Here are 101 uses for those oils.


I have a sample of the DigestZen and it has actually helped with my acid reflux!  This gives me hope!  My goal, if these work, would be to use DigestZen instead of taking my acid reflux medicine and use lavender, lemon and peppermint instead of taking my allergy medicine.

Do any of you use essential oils?  If so, have they helped?  Which ones have you used?  What would you recommend?

Also, do you have any thoughts on JuicePlus???


I really appreciate any wisdom you have to offer!  I can research and research, but the best advice is usually what has worked for my friends.  Thank you!!

8 comments:

  1. I've heard great things about the oils, I need to try them! I work out right after work, that is what works for me but everyone's schedules are different. My husband and I switched to low carb tortilla and bread options a couple years ago, made a huge difference and I don't feel guilty about eating them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so similar. I'm a total hippy and love clean eating, natural medicine, etc. price is a huge issue though. My big thing is knowing where my food comes from, I am such a freak about this haha. I also went to the chiropractor for a long time due to my neck issues. That got pricey and I became a Pilates instructor around the same time and it made a HUGE difference when I did it a few times a week. Yoga sometimes helps too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love this topic!!! Love :) I just bought my first EO last week and am going to a EO party at a friends house in 2 weeks - just to hear more information - you are welcome to come!! I'm super passionate about eating healthy and working out so this post warms my heart <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite post of yours so far, Kelli! As for exercise, it's been different for me during different seasons of my life. Before kids, I went to the YMCA. After kids, I switched to a larger gym 20 min. away. Now, I go to my local Crossfit that is 5 min. away. I love it!

    As for EOs, you know how much I'm loving them from my post today! Great minds think alike. ;) My research came down to choosing between Young Living and DoTerra. I went with YL because of their seed to seal guarantee, 13 years in the business, and the support I get from my team. But, I have several friends who love DoTerra. I'm excited to be embarking on this journey of learning about and sharing oils!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that Crossfit is so close to you! That's how our rec center is now...it's a mile and a half away. I plan to run there, do weights and run back someday :)

      Great minds DO think alike! Man, I'm already overwhelmed from researching the two companies. Sounds like both are great so I can't go wrong. I loved your post! I look forward to hearing how they affect your family. Let me know!

      Delete
  5. Great post Kelli! I know a lot of women who are super obsessive about all natural, organic, oils, etc. And I wish we could afford to do more, or have time to make all these whole food meals every single day. But like you said, sometimes we're limited in our budget, time, etc. So that's why I say everything in moderation. As long as you eat pretty healthy most of the time, exercise most days of the week, and dabble in the oils I think you're doing great. Don't worry yourself too much with doing everything 100 percent by the book all the time. You'll find a balance. And then you'll have kids and that balance will go out the window for a while, ha!
    And thank you for the shout out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous post Kelli!

    Last Friday I was feeling really bummed that I no longer have a gym membership (nor can I afford one right now) and I don't have anyone to work out with. So I posted on Twitter that I was starting the 30 Day Shred and was wondering if anyone else wanted to join the challenge and tweet/encourage one another. I now have 2 Twitter work out buddies! YAY!

    Healthy eating is very important to me. I've been on a journey to convert our family to all clean foods. Wow... it's tough but at least we're working on it.

    Also, as I mentioned before, I LOVE my essential oils.

    Thanks so much for sharing (and for linking up to the SHINE Blog Hop).

    Wishing you a blessed day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I absolutely LOVE reading your comments and try my hardest to reply via email! Make sure you're not a no-reply commenter so I can do that. If I can't email you, I'll try to reply on here :-) Have a wonderful day, friends!