Tuesday, May 6, 2014

In The Word: Lord, Please Keep Making Me

A few weeks ago, my husband texted me after we both got to work and said "I have a new favorite song. Sidewalk Prophets.  'Keep Making Me'.  Was literally bawling in the car.  Lyrics are powerful."

So of course I had to look it up and listen to it and yep, I was crying too.  I just love my hubby's heart. :)

Take a quiet moment to listen to it here or if you're in a place where you can't, read the lyrics below.


Keep Making Me
Sidewalk Prophets

Make me broken
So I can be healed
'Cause I'm so calloused
And now I can't feel
I want to run to You
With heart wide open
Make me broken

Make me empty
So I can be filled
'Cause I'm still holding
Onto my will
And I'm completed
When you are with me
Make me empty

[Chorus:]
'Til You are my one desire
'Til You are my one true love
'Til You are my breath, my everything
Lord, please keep making me

Make me lonely
So I can be Yours
'Til I want no one
More than You, Lord
'Cause in the darkness
I know You will hold me
Make me lonely

So powerful.  So humbling.  So convicting.  I hear the words "til I want no one more than You, Lord" and I feel convicted.  I feel like I seek other people or things before seeking Him so often.  When I'm sad, I want my husband's comfort.  When I'm lonely, I just want a friend to call me.  But those are people, not God.  How much has it had to hurt in the past when I felt so lonely that I FINALLY reached out to God and wanted Him?!  I wish I could do this even in the moments that I'm not lonely or completely broken so I ask Him to make me broken.  If that's what gets me closer to Him, then by all means, break me Lord.  Make me broken, make me empty, make me lonely.

I think of David's words in Psalm 27 as he was running from his enemies when hearing this song:


The one thing I ask of the LORD-
the one thing I seek most-
is to live in the house of the LORD all the days of my life,
delighting in the LORD's protection
and meditating in His Temple.

Hear me as I pray, O LORD.
Be merciful and answer me!
My heart has heard you say, "Come and talk with me."
And my heart responds, "LORD, I am coming."

~ Psalm 27:4,7-8



I'm linking up with Cassie Lee and Cassie today!  Go check out their posts too!

8 comments:

  1. love that song and love that psalm. verse 4 was one of the first pieces of scripture i memorized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I JUST LOVE THIS SONG, it always wrecks me..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great song and way to go hubby- I hadn't heard it until now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love that songs!
    Mariel Collins
    Living For His Glory
    livingforhisglory2@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is a really powerful song. What an amazing message. And that Psalm is another favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great to hear when I feel down

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good word - Thanks for sharing girl! Great song too xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those lyrics are beautiful! Thanks for sharing the song and your feelings it brings out for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I absolutely LOVE reading your comments and try my hardest to reply via email! Make sure you're not a no-reply commenter so I can do that. If I can't email you, I'll try to reply on here :-) Have a wonderful day, friends!