Friday, May 2, 2014

5 on Friday: My April Budget

Happy Friday!!!  It's time for 5 on Friday so I'm linking up with the lovely hostesses listed below.  I'm so excited that the weekend is here!


Kevin and I budget our money each month by category and use an app on our iPhones to keep track of our expenses called the GoodBudget app.  I recommend downloading it from your phone if you want to check it out.  We agreed on an amount that each of us has to spend each month on whatever we want, no questions asked.  For now, that amount is $100 and let me tell ya, little things can add up quickly and it's gone like that!  For April, I'm going to share what I purchased with you just for fun!

{ONE}

The first thing I bought was a pair of jeans that Tiffany at A Touch of Grace mentioned on her blog here.


They were only $40.65 (with tax) and shipping is always free with Nordstrom!  I'm not used to the high waist thing and find myself pulling them up a lot...I think because of my big hips and smaller waist, but they fit perfectly in the legs and booty.  Love them!

{TWO}

My hubby and I attended a conference called "More Than A Paycheck" about your job being your ministry.  It was so needed and such an encouragement for me!  While we were there, I bought this book for $13.48:


I remember a lady from my church telling me about this book four years ago and I never could find it. When I saw it at the conference, I was so excited!  Showing people the love of Christ through serving and giving is so important to me.  There is so much to learn about helping people though.  Help can actually hurt people or only provide a temporary fix sometimes so I'm learning about what it looks like to do this effectively.  This is part of the reason I'm so passionate about budget counseling.  I'm excited to read this book!

{THREE}

I need more work clothes...I shouldn't use the word 'need' though...I just mostly wear items that are at least 10 years old because I don't want to spend the money on it.  I don't love buying them because they have to be business casual, but I'm slowly adding to my collection.  I ordered this cardigan in sunwashed aqua from J Crew Factory and it should be getting to my house today!  Everything was 20% off on the site so I got it after shipping and tax for $33.43.  I can wear this to work AND with cute sundresses in the summer!


{FOUR}

I'm participating in Kelly's Book Club at Kelly's Korner so I had to buy the book!  We're discussing "The Antelope in the Living Room" by Melanie Shankle.  Since I was in a hurry to get it, I bought it from Barnes and Noble for $16.23.  Had I had more time, I would have ordered it from Amazon.  I'm enjoying it so far!  It's a funny, easy read!


{FIVE}

If you add all of those up, you'll see that I went over my budget by $3.79.  Oops.  I'd say that's not too bad though.  We underspent on food which covers that and helps us pay down the mortgage!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!  We have a wedding to attend this weekend so our's should be fun!

9 comments:

  1. Way to stretch that budget, girl!! Loving your new jeans and cardigan btw! I've gone over $3.79 (or a bit more ;)) now and then too, but when you can pull it from something else, like underspending on food, it always seems to work out. ;) My husband has set up a spreadsheet on our Mac that we use for budgeting to keep our spending just where it needs to be. I hadn't heard of that app before though. Sounds handy and like a wise & simple way to stay on track! ;) ... Happy Friday, friend!! Enjoy your weekend! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty good Kelli. Glad you like the jeans. I feel like I'm always pulling up on low rise jeans; we have opposite problems. :) Great find with the cardigan too. And let me know how the book is. I have a line of books to read right now but am always looking to add to the waiting list. :)
    Have a great weekend. We're going to a wedding as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I did that too when we were paying off all of our debt, it was great. Easy for him, but hard for me haha! I can't wait to read that book. I bought some Vigoss jeans at Nordstrom last year, love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for spring! I'm def. going to be checking out that budgeting app. After vacation this year, we are going to focus really hard on saving :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that cardigan color. Perfect for spring and summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping over from the link-up & J.Crew Factory is my go-to for business casual, they always have tons of cute outfits! Have a great weekend :)

    Kristina
    medicineandmanicures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi friend!!! I was wondering why I wasn't seeing updates from you.. I hadn't updated my feed with the url!!!! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard great things about both of those books and I love J Crew Factory outlet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need more work clothes too. Big time. I was stoked because last night we went to Old Navy and I got work pants and a sweater for under $15. HAPPY DAY. We have thought about doing an "allowance" too when we fully combine accounts. We use the mint app right now to check our expenses. Having an app really makes things so much easier to keep track of!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I absolutely LOVE reading your comments and try my hardest to reply via email! Make sure you're not a no-reply commenter so I can do that. If I can't email you, I'll try to reply on here :-) Have a wonderful day, friends!