Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Wedding Story: The Proposal


I'm excited about this post in the Wedding Story Series!  To catch up on the story of Kevin and Kelli, read these posts:

How We Met
How We Started Dating

March 22, 2013

Now our proposal story!!!

In March of 2013, Kevin and I had definitely talked about marriage and were taking steps to prepare us for it before we made that big commitment.  Being a little "older" we have so many friends that are already married and we listened to their advice.  We took a class at a local church designed for seriously dating and engaged couples.  Personally, I believe that you should have already talked about all of the major topics and be on the same page about them BEFORE getting engaged.  An engagement period is not a time to get to know one another, you should be 100% certain that this is who you want to marry when that ring goes on your finger.  We talked about topics like finances, marital conflict, Biblical roles, in-laws, future children, and sex.  This was such a good time for Kevin and I to get on the same page about these topics and know which ones are deal-breakers!

We were also meeting with a mentor couple from our church who walked us through many of those topics on a personal, deep level.  This was, by far, the most helpful pre-marital thing we did!  We are so grateful for this couple and still meet with them regularly.  They are such an encouragement to us, an example of a God-centered marriage and an amazing resource for wisdom and guidance.

On March 22, 2013, Kevin and I headed to Austin, Texas for a friend's wedding and to hang out with our friends, Chris and Elizabeth.  As we were headed to our friends' house, we hit a ton of traffic and I "led" us on a detour to avoid it.  On this detour, we ended up close to Mount Bonnell, a small city park located on top of a hill overlooking Lake Austin.  I have to back up a bit here to when we were dating...

The first time that I told Kevin I loved him was on Mount Bonnell.  We went to Austin for his birthday one year and before heading to an Eric Church concert, I took him here, because I think the view is beautiful.  I gave him his birthday present - a list of 500 reasons that I love him.  He loved it and told me he loved me too!  Here was that moment...


So Mount Bonnell is special for us.  I suggested we stop by it since we were so close, so Kevin parked and we headed up the long stairway.  When we got to the top, Kevin guided me to an area set up with champagne and roses...



I thought, "Kevin!  This is someone's stuff!  We need to stay away!"  It never dawned on me that it could be from him, because I had been with him the whole time and had just driven 215 miles to get there.  When we got to that spot, Kevin grabbed both of my hands and told me how much he loves me and that I took him to that spot for something special last time and that this time, he was bringing me for something special.  He got down on one knee and asked me to marry him!



It all happened so quickly and my heart was racing fast so it's a very surreal memory.  It couldn't have been more perfect!

After that, when we were hugging and kissing, I noticed my friend, Elizabeth, peeking out from behind a pillar with a camera.  She and Chris came out from hiding and it all made sense.  Kevin had been working with them on this plan for a while.  They were so sweet to help him set that up and take photos of the whole thing! The photos you see posted were taken by Elizabeth.  A huge thanks to both of them for making it happen!

Then we went to dinner at The Oasis overlooking Lake Travis with them and, of course, spent a ton of time on the phone telling our family and close friends the good news.


Didn't Kevin do a great job?!  He really surprised me since I thought that I had led us to Mount Bonnell, not him.  He was planning that the whole time and it all worked out perfectly!

All photo credit goes to Elizabeth Guilbeau

Coming soon...Wedding Story: Engagement

10 comments:

  1. So sweet! He did good! And for him to plan it all with your friends to capture the moment is awesome. I wish we'd had someone to capture ours.

    It looks so gorgeous there! I'll have to show my hubby to try to further convince him of the awesomeness that is Austin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Sweet!!! He did such a wonderful job! I am loving your love story and can't wait to hear the rest.... this makes me want to write a similar series on my own blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, Hollie! I got the idea from other bloggers who have done it. I love reading them and it's a great place to document it. :) I look forward to reading them!

      Delete
  3. I am crying happy tears over this beautiful story!!! Your husband did a fantastic job with the proposal! I LOVE that you were initially thinking, "This is someone's stuff! We need to stay away!" ;) Love every last detail!! So happy for your two! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww. Oh my goodness, I love wedding proposal stories. I'm crying now.

    So very sweet. He did a fabulous job.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw this is so sweet. So perfect! Thanks for sharing, I'd document this on my blog but it's been so long I don't think I can remember all the perfect details.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sweet story and I love that you initially thought you might be intruding on someone else's romantic set up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, what a great engagement!
    I totally agree 100% that you should be sure before the ring goes on your finger.
    It can cause so many problems if you aren't "on the same page."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, agreed! I know things are never perfect but it's nice to avoid some of the problems that could have caused a lot of turmoil.

      Delete
  8. This is absolutely the sweetest. Matt and I did this book called "101 questions to ask before you get engaged" and I am SO glad we got a lot of the hard things out of the way before getting engaged. Pre-martial counseling was still a little tough but we were mostly on the same page. TOTALLY agree.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I absolutely LOVE reading your comments and try my hardest to reply via email! Make sure you're not a no-reply commenter so I can do that. If I can't email you, I'll try to reply on here :-) Have a wonderful day, friends!