Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Wedding Story: The Decor

I'm going to cover so much in one this post about the details of our wedding!  I did a ton of DIY for a lot of it so I'll be doing a separate post about that so stay tuned!


I planned a wedding during "the age of Pinterest" which I both appreciate and despise.  I appreciate it because honestly, it gave me so many ideas that I never could have come up with on my own and showed me how to DIY a ton of it so I saved money!  I despise it because at times, it makes you feel like you have to live up to some sort of perfection or else your wedding is an epic fail.  This, of course, is not true so you have to remember that it's YOURS and to not compare YOUR wedding to what you see on Pinterest.  You usually only see the rare ones anyway!

First off, I have to tell you how crazy Type A I am.  I had an extensive Excel spreadsheet that had a tab for each and every aspect of the wedding.  It kept me so organized and I loved it!  If you're planning a wedding and are interested in how I did it, feel free to email me at wellskelli@gmail.com.


{OVERALL FEEL}

Though Kevin and I live in the city, we really love the country.  I grew up in a small town where I vowed to never wear cowboy boots, Rocky Mountain jeans or a cowboy hat because there were so many cowboys around me.  Ha!  Once I moved to the city, I missed the country and bought me some cowboy boots!

Since we're a pretty no-frills kind of couple, we wanted a wedding/reception that had a casual atmosphere with lots of fun and food.  A country theme seemed perfect for us because you can dress it up or dress it down and it's still a good time.  So we started looking for ranches/barns that would achieve that feel.



{VENUE}

Everyone knows that the venue is one of the first items on your list of to-do's after you get engaged.  Kevin and I got on this right away.  I did some research of a TON of venues in the area and narrowed it down to 4-5 to actually visit.  Had I shown Kevin all of them, his head might have exploded.

Once we visited Jones Barn at Willowcreek Ranch, we knew it was IT!  We both loved the look of the barn, the feel of the ranch, the owners and the location (about 1 hour outside of the city).

{photo by Daniel Dixon}

SIDE NOTE: Please ignore the extra chairs.  That's my fault.  I insisted that they put them all out there, but so many people got there late that they all stood back at the barn rather than taking a seat.  That's probably one of the only things I regret.  Grrr...empty chairs.


You'll see a lot more photos of it when I post about the ceremony and reception.


{COLORS}

Since the colors of your wedding determine so much after that!  This is the closest thing I can find to the colors I chose (without the blush):


No, that is not my wedding, but isn't it gorgeous?!?!  We basically used a bunch of neutrals (chocolate brown, light brown, champagne, creme, hazelnut, ivory) with some peach and mint/sage green.  I LOVED it!  This is what I showed people when they asked...


I thought "this could be a disaster or be awesome!"  Thankfully, I think it turned out awesome!  Here's a shot of my bridesmaids that shows how the colors came together...


Aren't we fun?! :)


{FLOWERS/PLANTS}

I was trying my hardest to cut costs since we were paying for our own wedding.  I decided not to do the traditional flowers purchased from a florist just because of the cost.  Instead, I bought baby's breath in bulk from Sam's and my dad grew about 30 little succulents to use as table decorations.  He is a horticulture guy and loves succulents so he just trimmed some pieces off of one of his existing succulents and grew me a bunch of little ones.  They looked amazing!


My mom and aunt made the bouquets which BLEW ME AWAY!  They asked what I wanted and I gave them a bit of an idea and they went WAY over and above!  They used photos on Etsy to get an idea and just started creating.  They made burlap flowers, ordered Sola flowers (made out of wood) and added a few other items to them.  Aren't they beautiful?!?!





{photos by Against the Grain Images}


{CEREMONY DECOR}

Oh man, this was a last minute effort but my mom, sister-in-law and her mom were awesome and created something beautiful!  Kevin was helping them put it up the night before...

{see my adorable little nephew trying to help out below?!}

There was a walkway that everyone walked through that led up to a rustic "gazebo".  I loved it somedays, hated it others but I really liked how it turned out.  My mom made the top arrangement for the gazebo and my sister-in-law brought the burlap to wrap.  The venue added the chandelier.

On the walkway, there were supposed to be decorated mason jars filled with baby's breath but somehow the baby's breath was overlooked...haha...oh well!



In lieu of a program...

{my mom found this in an old house she was fixing up and we found another at an antique store}

To get fun photos from the eyes of our guests...

{chalkboard purchased from an antique store; chair belongs to venue}


{RECEPTION DECOR}

The walls of the barn were already decorated so well that we didn't touch those.  There were white lights up all around the inside that were great!  So we mostly just had to decorate the tables.  We used ivory tablecloths, a little burlap, wood slices (huge thanks to my parents and the Woolsey's for those), jute wrapped wine bottles, decorated mason jars, baby's breath, rice, candles and beautiful succulents that my dad spent months before growing!



 {wreath purchased from Haute Mess Door Decor and More}








{DRINK STATION}

We absolutely loved our drinking mason jars!  We had to order them through a restaurant supply company through a friend but they so added to the fun feel of the wedding!  Unfortunately, we didn't get a photo of the bar and our really cute chalkboard bar menu.




{DESSERT STATION}

My AMAZING friend, Jennifer, baked the cupcakes (in lieu of a wedding cake) for us and together we made oreo balls that looked like baseballs (in lieu of a groom's cake).  This saved us a ton of money and our guests loved it!  Everything is baseball themed because Kevin LOVES baseball, obviously!







Wow!  That was a lot of photos!  Hope you enjoyed them!

Love Always Nancy J

9 comments:

  1. Just WOW!!!!! Every single detail is perfection. Beautiful!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, your wedding was absolutely gorgeous and looks like it belongs in a magazine. The details! Love the colors! Makes me want to get married all over again haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could have been a guest at your wedding. It was so gorgeous and looks like it was so much fun. You did an amazing job with all the DIY projects. Love the colors and the simplicity of the tables. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the most outstanding wedding ever. I wish I were getting married... uh, well...not really. After 43 years I just want the party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many cute ideas I don't even know where to start! Definitely pinning for later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carissa! You're sweet :)

      Delete
  6. How perfect! I'm also realizing we have VERY similar styles for our weddings! I think you'll find that our days end up looking similar overall! And that VENUE!!!!! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh. My. Goodness!!! So much about your wedding is absolutely GORGEOUS!! The venue is incredible!! (Exactly the kind of thing I dream about owning one day) I loved your colors and the table decor is perfect! I think I actually drooled a little over your bouquets! They were absolutely amazing! So glad you had a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love love those wedding colors!! Just gorgeous xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I absolutely LOVE reading your comments and try my hardest to reply via email! Make sure you're not a no-reply commenter so I can do that. If I can't email you, I'll try to reply on here :-) Have a wonderful day, friends!