Monday, April 7, 2014

Chicken Quinoa Stuffed Peppers



I'm pretty proud of myself with this recipe!  I was experimenting and it turned out really great!  My husband loved it and it's super healthy.

It did have a bit of a Moroccan taste to it so if you don't like that, leave out the cinnamon and cumin.

Chicken Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:
1 large chicken breast
3/4c uncooked quinoa (rinsed)
1 1/8c water
1 medium zucchini
1 medium yellow squash
1/4c diced red onion
2 large red, orange or yellow bell peppers
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Optional: Feta Cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

NOTE: Before stuffing the peppers, you can do all of these steps in whatever order you prefer.

Cut bell peppers in half (horizontally), removing stem and seeds.  The top half will have a hole in it, but that's ok.  Place halves on a foil lined cookie sheet, drizzle with oil and cook in the oven for 10 minutes.  Set them aside on another plate when they are finished.

Cook the chicken breast however you prefer.  I prefer to cook mine in a slow cooker but if I don't have the time, I either bake it or boil it.  You could also use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.  Once cooked, cube the chicken into 1/2 inch cubes or just shred it.



While your chicken is cooking, bring the quinoa and water to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium and cook the quinoa until all of the water has been absorbed (about 10-15 minutes).  I usually just watch it to make that call.



Cut the zucchini and yellow squash into 1/2 inch pieces.  Spread them onto a cookie sheet (I used the same one from roasting the bell pepper) with the diced onion and drizzle olive oil over the top.  Add salt and pepper if desired.  Roast in the oven for 13 minutes.


Once all of these steps have been completed, mix chicken, quinoa, and roasted vegetables in a mixing bowl.  Add garlic powder, cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper and mix well.

Stuff each bell pepper half with as much of the mixture as will fit.  Cook stuffed peppers (still at 425) for 10-13 minutes or until the tops start to lightly brown.

Serve topped with feta cheese, if preferred.  We loved it with the feta!


Enjoy!

Printable Recipe

Please pin this recipe if you like it!  See Pinterest icon below this post. Thanks!



11 comments:

  1. I love quinoa. It's so healthy for you, I've been trying to include it more often in our diet.

    This looks great! Thanks so much for sharing.

    Wishing you a lovely day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! I'm so glad you shared this on the SHINE Blog Hop! This is also a reminder to me that I have GOT to make this recipe.

      Wishing you a blessed day.
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. This looks amazing, thanks for sharing!! Xx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried quinoa a while back and wasn't the biggest fan.. I think it may have just been the recipe I chose, though. Definitely going to have to give it another try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love peppers so much! May need to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! I almost always get a red, orange or yellow bell pepper when I go to the store even if I don't know what I'm going to do with it :)

      Thanks for commenting, Kassie!

      Delete
  5. Holy cow those look amazing! I've never tried stuffed anything (except chicken....once). I'm totally intimidated. But this looks doable. And we love quinoa here! It's a great superfood!

    Great recipe Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should be proud of yourself with this recipe! ;) It looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! I've been making lots of quinoa salads, but I'd love to try a hot stuffed pepper with quinoa - looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I normally do too! One night, I thought "I should try putting this 'salad' inside of a pepper" and it turned out great! Thanks for commenting, Jeanette!

      Delete
  8. I love stuffed peppers! I made some just the other night. I typically mix mine up each time. This time I made stuffing from quinoa, ground turkey, onion, black beans, and enchilada sauce and topped them with cheese! So good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I absolutely LOVE reading your comments and try my hardest to reply via email! Make sure you're not a no-reply commenter so I can do that. If I can't email you, I'll try to reply on here :-) Have a wonderful day, friends!