Thursday, March 27, 2014

Everything Does Not Happen For A Reason


I do not believe that everything happens for a reason. And let me tell you why...

I feel like the saying "everything happens for a reason" is very commonly used in times of heartache and pain by someone trying to comfort another person.  Or maybe it's used to explain random events in someone's life.  No wonder so many people hate God!  It's hard to believe in a God that you think forced a bunch of pain on you.

Bad things happen in the world. As a result of sin entering the world in the Beginning with Adam and Eve, bad things happen to both good and bad people. Here is where I think our view on that saying needs to change - God can make good come out of a bad situation - He can use those times to teach us a lesson or get to a place that we'd otherwise not be, but I don't think that He causes all of that pain. 

There is a huge assumption beneath "everything happens for a reason."  Christians often say this when explaining the good that came out of an event - "God made this happen so that A and B would result."  I believe that this is true SOMETIMES, but not always.  In the past, I would go through some horrible time in my life and believe that God "made" it happen so that I would learn a valuable lesson.  The truth is...I DID learn a valuable lesson and maybe that's true, but God is not sitting up in Heaven with puppet strings forcing a bunch of pain on us.  In fact, there are many times that what happens is just a result of sin in the world.  Here is what DOES happen - God can make something beautiful out of the "bad" that occurs in this world.


When a man, woman or child is raped, I don't think that God made that happen, but He can make good come out of it.  That's so hard to understand when there's so much pain involved.  There doesn't have to be a "why".  Let there be a "what can I do with this to glorify God?"  I know women who have been raped and have used that horrible experience to share her healing with other women who have experienced the same thing.  Francine Rivers wrote a book called "The Atonement Child" that shows another way that God can use such a horrible thing to bring beauty, life and purpose into this world, while hating the act.

Think about the good and the bad that has happened in your life.  Perhaps you're angry with God for something evil that happened to you.  Consider how He can bring you out of that hurt and into healing rather than blaming Him for it happening.  He wants to bring good out of it.  Just ask Him for healing.  Openly talk to Him about it, even if you're angry.  I believe that He mourns right along side of you.  You are His child, He hates to see you in pain.  He is the great Healer.  He can direct you along the "perfect" path, by using something you that didn't deserve, for good.


3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post Kelli. I used to say this all the time too.

    last fall I participated in the Margaret Feinberg Bible Study: Wonderstruck. In that study I learned we have to stop asking why and instead, seek the who in our life. God our creator. Jesus our Saviour. It really helped me shift my "everything happens for a reason mentality". Instead of wasting my time considering the "why" in circumstances, I started to turn my face to God and seek Him.

    Thanks for sharing! Wishing you a blessed day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I absolutely LOVE reading your comments and try my hardest to reply via email! Make sure you're not a no-reply commenter so I can do that. If I can't email you, I'll try to reply on here :-) Have a wonderful day, friends!